ServiceNow is known for its proficiency in revolutionizing the service delivery process. Understanding the need for employees to access the Now Platform at their fingertips, there is now an integration with Progressive Web Applications PWA). PWA capabilities send notifications to user's desktop and mobile devices. To enable ServiceNow PWA notifications, businesses need to integrate Firebase with their ServiceNow platform. Here we share how to integrate Friebase in ServiceNow for PWA notifications.
What is PWA?
The Progressive Web App (PWA) is an internet app that uses internet capabilities to deliver app-like expertise to users. With PWAs, businesses can deploy the app as both a PWA and native app that benefits each channel.
What is PWA Notification?
PWA notifications sends notifications to the user’s devices like desktop or mobile browsers by integrating their application with Firebase. With this integration in ServiceNow, notifications will be sent from a ServiceNow instance directly to the user's desktop to check their ticket status.
This feature is supported by Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, IE browsers in both desktop and android mobile devices but it's not available for iOS mobile due to Apple security limitations. Firebase registration credentials and other essential keys are required.
Benefits of PWA Notifications
- Send instant notification on change of state
- Easy access to tickets/records
- Go straight to details
- Full control of notification content
Benefits of Integrating ServiceNow with Firebase
- Users can directly navigate and see their incident/request status
- Managers can directly approve requests
- CMDB or Asset Management status notifications can be seen directly on the desktop
- Send instant notification
- Easy access to ticket/record
- Full control on notification content
- It only takes one step to see notifications
Process for Integrating ServiceNow with Firebase for PWA Notification
For admins, it's a 2-step process.
Step 1: Add Firebase credentials in the Firebase properties module (one-time process)
Step 2: Click on the Registration page module (every time you want to register a new device).
For users, they just have to click on the Registration Page.
Whenever there is a change in an incident state, a notification is triggered (it can be customized to your requirement).
Getting Started with ServiceNow PWA Notifications
Here are the steps to follow to start using the ServiceNow PWA notification feature:
- Download and install PWA Notification from ServiceNow Store
- Update all Firebase properties
- Open Register Device Page on service portal to register your device
- Change the state of the incident and you will see push notification in Screen
Start creating new business rules to push more notifications
Need assistance for a stress-free integration? Get in touch with our ServiceNow experts for a free consultation!
Siva Sandilya works as Team Lead at V-Soft Labs and has over 4 years of experience in the IT industry. He has profound expertise in ServiceNow integrations, ITSM modules like incident, change and problem management. He is a ServiceNow Certified System Administrator and Certified Implementation Specialist.