Cyber attackers are transforming their intelligence to launch attacks where many attacks go unnoticed. Hacking is the primary method of attack and accounts for 63% of all data breaches to date- according to the ITRC/CyberScout report- 9% caused by employee negligence or error. This contains inappropriate disposal of sensitive data and lost or stolen laptops or other devices. Incidental exposure on the web estimated 7% of the breaches. So what are the best defensive practices to fight cyber crime?
Employees are on the front lines of information security. The more that can be done to regularly educate employees about the modest things to protect their devices can go a long way towards protecting the organization.
Cyber security policies are sets of guidelines that assist organizations in connecting and streamlining security efforts that are necessary to guarantee the protection of digital assets. They support business in identifying assets for protection, potential attacks on these assets, and measures taken to protect assets.
These policies list the responsibilities and consequences of the rights the users must abide by while working with business systems- including physical, individual management, hardware, and software. Cyber-crimes reinvent themselves to explore vulnerabilities just as technology innovates, making cyber security policy audits a priority to be updated as needed.
Government and businesses are ranked the highest as top targets. It is imperative for every business to understand cyber security and its facets to reduce the possibility of cyber-attacks and breaches. A well executable security plan is what businesses need. Precise plans prioritize steps to be taken that defend the business network and data against most known attacks. Some steps may seem common and others beyond the capability of the average small business, but all are standards of effective cyber security.
Practical Cyber Security Checklist
- Train employees on cyber security threats
- Conduct a cyber security readiness assessment
- Discuss with your attorney how you might handle a ransomware attack
- Contact local law enforcement for their protocols for a ransomware attack
- Apply best practice multi-level password protocols
- Educate yourself at the Center for Internet Security
When a cyber-attack happens, you won’t be judged by it happening, but what you did when it happened.”
Prepping Employees for Cyber Security Challenges
For example, browser plug-ins or add-ons you download can collect your information and pass it to the hackers. Something as harmless as an email appearing to be sent from your boss prompting you to click a link can create a path to hackers. The recent Wanna Cry Ransomware attack is one (phishing) attack where the email link opened caused extreme losses across enterprises.
This one click can raise the costs for your business in terms of reputation, finance, business data and loss of customer trust. Preparing employees for cyber-attacks is the first line of defense.
To be sure your employees are ready and able to protect your business systems, ensure that they:
- Never click on a link or attachment in an email from an unknown source or from someone you did not expect to receive the email from.
- Ensure anti-virus, malware, and firewall software’s up-to-date.
- For mobile devices keep track of them and use biometric authorization
- Never email sensitive files to your personal email. Best to access remotely when needed through a secure connection.
- Use up-to-date security practices and anti-virus and browsing security software at home and for personal devices.
- Do not browse on sites that force the sharing of information or are of a non-professional nature because just visiting can open you up to hackers.
Cyber-crimes happen everywhere. You need to protect your business by working towards prevention. It is important for every business to understand cybersecurity and its components to reduce attacks. Want to dig a little deeper to know how ready your business is to fight cybercrimes, here is a free assessment from our experts!