A solid cloud strategy is key to scale business capacities to stay inline with the digitalization objectives. This is when businesses start to migrate from on-premise systems to cloud technology. Cloud strategy is driven by business vision, goals, and interests, this is why no two business will have the same migration process. To conduct a successful cloud migration efficiently and effectively, we present a step-by-step process.
Consider Security Challenges in Cloud Migration
Cloud technology provides full stack security to applications and services. Though cloud migration benefits are exciting, prior to the migration process, it's important to be aware of the security challenges. Failing to consider security aspects can create serious issues.
Security checklist to keep in mind before migrating to the cloud:
- Data blocks may be lost or erased, ensure data sensitivity.
- Databases are usually encrypted, so consider encryption and decryption aspects. If you don't handle data properly it can ruin it.
- Never use primitive tools or procedures in speed up the process. This could lead to depreciation of plugins, lost instances and so on.
- Not understanding the insufficiencies of the system framework can cause bugs during the migration process. Before preceding to migration, identify insufficiencies in the systems framework.
- Employ automated test framework that has a full stack security testing measures to explore any vulnerabilities after the migration.
- Prepare a security audit roadmap to ensure migration teams adhere to security policies throughout the migration process
Step-by-Step Cloud Migration Process
To prepare organizations for a successful cloud migration, here is an industry proven best-in-class cloud migration process:
- Define usiness purpose for migration
- Evaluate your migration costs and needs
- Assess the environment and applications
- Choose cloud environment (single or multi-cloud)
- Determine deployment model (IaaS, PaaS & SaaS)
- Choose a strong cloud partner
- Choose the right architecture
- Prioritize migration components
- Establish performance baselines
- Create a robust data-migration plan
- Migrate applications
- Review applications, databases and required components
- Transfer domain and IP's to application
- Test applications, databases and required components
- Conduct security testing to ensure no vulnerabilities exist
AWS Cloud Migration Process
To mobilize enterprises with the best cloud strategy solutions, AWS is offering full stack cloud computing solutions in the form of Amazon Web Services Cloud Adoption Framework. Many businesses are actively migrating to the AWS cloud. To conduct an AWS cloud migration, follow the above mentioned steps as well as the steps mentioned below.
AWS Migration Tools and Platforms
AWS provides effective tools at every stage of the migration process.