Think of an application integration as the relationship of enterprise applications. A relationship that will give birth to improvements in productivity, collaboration, and reducing organizational costs. Like all relationships, enterprise application integration can be both a ton of fun and headache all at the same time. Review these answers to the biggest ServiceNow integration challenges and start your relationship off in the right direction.
ServiceNow Integration Challenges
Here we get feedback from a few ServiceNow developers on some of the biggest challenges to a successful integration.
- Information is categorization and labeling: A system integrated with ServiceNow may refer to categories using varying values and terminology. For a successful integration your team should be identifying the differences between related informational details. Do this and a solution with powerful integration capabilities like ServiceNow can transform and enrich the data sets being managed.
- Incompatibility: Yeah, that's a big one. Integration is highly contingent on the apps you’d like to integrate. There are legacy or packaged apps that you cannot simply modify to couple with an integration solution. Let’s say you’d like to integrate ServiceNow with Jira. ServiceNow said “Let's go,” but Jira refused because it thinks it is incompatible with ServiceNow. You will need something to connect and harmonize these apps, so you can sync incidents in ServiceNow with issues in Jira and simultaneously update issue/incident status in both ServiceNow and Jira.
- Do-it-yourself quandary: Do-it-yourself preparation can help ensure everything is custom fit to your specific preferences and requirements. But in the long run, it can turn out to be more expensive than hiring a ServiceNow partner as it can use up most of your time and energy, especially if you are not an expert. Likewise, self-service integration, if “re-designed effectively” according to Gartner, can be a good strategy for improving service. Yet it can also lead to more complexities and higher costs. While there are integration solutions that have potential without the expertise and resources to implment you may find yourself behind the power curve unelss of course you have a veteran ServiceNow implementation team.
- Keeping everything within budget: Cost remains everyone’s ultimate concern. Gartner predicts that companies will allocate a bigger slice of their budget on integration by 2018, with “more than 50% of the cost of implementing 90% of new large systems” to be spent on integration.Gartner also sees through 2016, application integration expenditure of midsize to large companies will be over 33% higher than in 2013. To reduce costs, you need to reduce integration complexities that can lead to lengthy lead times and additional or unexpected deployment and maintenance costs.
Integration Answers Direct from ServiceNow
If you haven't joined the ServiceNow community or delved into the wiki there is no better time than today. Here we take the best of the top integration questions, the true FAQs we all seek, to help you bridge gaps before they happen in your project.
What integrations have been completed?
- Altiris (version 6.5)
- Google MapsWeb Services
- Google Custom Search
- IBM Tivoli Netcool/OMNIbus
- Verizon eBonding
- BMC Remedy
- Oracle PeopleSoft
Looking for some help bridging those integration gaps? Learn more by scheduling a free chat with a ServiceNow expert from V-Soft to overcome your project challenges.
Critical Factors to ServiceNow Projects
Maybe you've been down the road or just getting started on your ServiceNow journey but either way it’s important look at the implementation of ServiceNow as not just any other IT project. It is so much more than that, its a business project, a project that can transform your operations, customer services, employee services, and make improvements outcomes across every business unit it touches. When you take on service management in your company it can be revolutionary.
- Establish and communicate a clear vision
- Align all stakeholders
- Build a governance structure
- Define your roll out strategy in steps
- Create the team that gets it (even excited for ServiceNow)
- Its time to improve processes (don't use old bad ones)
- Apply principles of KISS for your project
- Identify your business architect
- Involve your technical SMEs from the start
- Take the time to increase ServiceNow knowledge